Saturday 5 September 2020

If Reading Books Hasn’t Transformed Your Life, You’re Doing It Wrong

The Value of Reading


Five simple steps to retain and master what you read


Thanks to Jonathan Borba for sharing their work on Unsplash.


In my early 20s, I worked for an obnoxiously rich boss in New York City’s financial district. On my first day of work, he convinced me I could achieve what he had.
“But first,” he said. “You need to read this book. He opened up his desk drawer and pulled out a fresh copy of Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill. “It will change your life.”
On my subway ride home that evening, I read the first few pages and devoured the rest of it that night. The next morning, I sprung out of bed in my dreary studio apartment, certain the wisdom dropped into my lap would catapult me to the stratosphere of success.
Three months later, the riches never came. Broke, discouraged, and sickened by the industry, I quit. The book, apparently, did not change my life.
Years later, I hired a mentor and told him this story. He disagreed with my assertion that a book couldn’t change your life. I had gone about it the wrong way, according to him. He then shared with me his technique to make books truly life-changing.
His reasoning made sense. You can’t get the full value from a book by reading it once. It takes repetition to learn and master the material.
That revelation was both depressing and encouraging. I hadn’t benefited from books because I had rifled through them, intent consuming rather than harvesting the wisdom contained within them.
But to read a book ten times. Who could motivate themselves to wade through the same material over and over? I couldn’t. I got bored after two readings of even the most engaging texts.
But what if you could read a book only once but benefit from it as though you had read it ten times?
That’s when I came up with a system.

Five simple steps to retain and master what you read

Let’s be honest. Just about every nonfiction, self-help book you read can be distilled down to two or three pages of notes. The rest of it is all fluff.
With that in mind, we need to extract the valuable material once and then organize it into a summarized version that makes sense to us.
Sure, you can buy book summaries and forego this effort. But I find that I need to read the book and write notes in my own words. Otherwise, I miss out on context and meaning. I’m also not as invested in the assimilation phase — a phase you are unlikely to do if you’re buying the cliff notes.

Step 1 — Notate

As you read your book, place an X or checkmark next to every concept or idea. Don’t worry about repetitive points. You’ll deal with that later. In some sections, you’ll find examples that explain a concept. For each one, put a star next to the beginning of the example. Different symbols help distinguish between instruction from explanation.
If you’re working off an electronic book, make use of the highlighting and note feature to distinguish between teachings you want to flag and examples that help you understand the lessons.

Step 2 — Distill

Once you finish reading and notating, go through the markup and transfer the salient points to a document. Be sure to put the page number at the end of each entry, so you can refer back to the book at a later date if you need further reference. Put your notes in your own words; it helps the learning process.
You’ll find redundancies as you go through your notations. Whenever you see repetition, ask yourself if the new explanation supersedes the old one or if the previous one proves superior.
As you review examples of different points, choose the one instance that best helps you visualize the lesson. It’s tempting to include multiple “for example” entries, but that will clutter up your summary.

Step 3 — Edit

Once you finish the distillation process, step away from your document for a few days. You’ll need to distance yourself from it before you can edit effectively.
As you go through the editing process, reword anything that doesn’t make sense. Remove remaining redundancies and cut anything that fails to advance your understanding of the topic. By the time you finish, your summary should be no more than three pages.
Continue this process two or three more times. Take additional steps to consolidate and clean up your verbiage. Each time you go through the process, it solidifies the learning.

Step 4 — Assimilate

It’s this step that most folks skip. They finish a book, feeling like they’re on the cusp of a life change. They see the world through a different lens. And then, they move onto the next book without taking the time to test-drive, customize, and absorb what they had learned.

Execution closes the learning circle. It’s where the great teachings become part of your everyday thinking and skillset. It’s here that the wisdom from a great book can truly change your life.
Review your summarized notes once per day. For each lesson in your document, do one action each day to practice it until you assimilate it into your daily routine. In some cases, you may need to practice a new way of thinking. In other books, it could be skill development or technique refinement.
Here’s a snippet from the document I created for the book On Writing Well by William Zinsser.

Back when I read this, I spent a week making sure I reduced each story to the smallest possible objective. Once finished, I moved on to the next lesson.

Step 5 — Reinforce

What about a year or five years from now? You’ll end up with a ton of book summaries. It’s cumbersome and unrealistic to review each one indefinitely. Here’s a practical way to reinforce what you’ve learned.
For each of your most-read book categories, draw the essential points from each summary, and create a checklist. This practice gives you a handy way to review material long after you’ve finished the assimilation phase. You may end up with a bunch of different checklists. I have ones for writing, personal finance, creativity, sales, and mindset.

Written by

No comments: