Friday 20 March 2020

How To Fall In Love… Slowly

Romance




I once thought love and infatuation were synonyms. When Emily came along, I felt nothing for her other than friendship. But three years later, I had fallen in love.
Our subsequent relationship did not last, but it taught me the difference between infatuation and love.
Infatuation springs to life after that first wink, smile, or quirky mannerism. You know it when obsession or madness steals your focus and sanity.
When novelty turns to familiarity, the frenzy fizzles. For the unlucky ones, the relationship dies. For a small minority, a seed remains behind, something to nourish.
Love starts as a seed, growing out of sight, under the surface. But with nurturing, it matures and emerges. And soon, you wonder if it always existed.
I’m lucky to have fallen in love twice. Both experiences taught me the beauty of letting it happen slowly.

My second love

We ran together, drank together, and even shopped together. But we were just friends. Neither of us expressed any romantic interest.
Our friend Rebecca had been bugging us, “You guys should smooch and see what happens.” She deemed my future wife and me an ideal match, so she organized group outings just to arrange adjacent seating for us — as if smooching erupted spontaneously from cramped proximity.
A year passed, and we continued to run, drink, and socialize. Nothing changed until a group of us went to a Yankee game. Amber and I got up to get a couple of beers. For the first time, two years after our friendship began, I felt attracted to her, buoyed with an odd intensity.
I schemed to ask her out as I walked her to the subway, but scheming never progressed to doing. Yeah, I wimped out, and my inaction would haunt me.
A few weeks after that game, she started dating someone else. I kicked myself for a while, but I shrugged it off. We remained good friends without the pressure of advancing our relationship.

The stealth date

Her relationship ended. I was unattached. She invited me out to a dive bar next to her office. I thought some of her coworkers would be there, but it was just us.
Have you ever met someone for a friendly drink and felt like you were on a date? A stealth date?
We cozy up as we drink, getting close but just drunk-close. I realize my feelings for her still linger inside me. And after spending a few hours together, my desire feels sharper, more than just a passing infatuation.
We stumble outside, and I hatch a plan. I’ll walk her to the subway and ask her out, just before we part ways. If she says no, it’s only a few seconds of awkwardness.
The moment approaches; the plan now seems impractical. The first time I had fallen in love with a friend, it ended in disappointment. Why chance that again?
“Safe trip home,” I said. We friend-hug goodbye.

She makes a move

But not the kind I wanted. She announced her impending relocation to Colorado. My window of opportunity had vanished — if only I had acted sooner. Even if we had started dating, we lacked enough time to build a relationship that could withstand the geographical distance.
But then she made a move, the kind I desired. She sent me a text which sparked a chain of events that changed everything.
September 7, 2002, became our unofficial anniversary thanks to this message.
“Meet me at American Trash when you get back from your parents.”
And so I did. I had planned to go for a drink, but we hung out at the bar for a few hours and then kissed for the first time.
Our relationship seemed to progress by years over the next two months. The seed had finally sprouted, as evident as a lily amongst a garden of shrubs.
She moved to Colorado as planned. I followed seven months later. For a long time, I had thought we survived despite the odds of distance. But no, the love had been building our entire friendship. The distance was merely an obstacle.

How to fall in love slowly

Too often, we confuse love with infatuation. And that only lasts for so long. When the crush eases, you need something more profound to hold your relationship together.
Falling in love doesn’t just happen. It’s a slow process that develops and grows from patient nurturing.
When you look back, it seems like it existed the whole time, just waiting for the two of you to acknowledge it. But that’s your mind playing revisionist history with you. It takes time and effort to grow that kind of connection.
To succeed, begin with the right mindset.

Start with no expectations

When you fall in love slowly, you never remember your first date. That’s because you spend so much time stealth-dating with no pressure or prospects for anything more.
Without expectations, you reveal your true self. You don’t feel compelled to impress. You allow your flaws to poke through your outer shell. By the time you cross the friend-lover threshold, they already know the real you.

Have fun together

Sure, go to the theater, vacations, and concerts. But can you have fun together on a hike, chilling out at a wine bar, or drinking coffee? If you can enjoy yourselves doing everyday activities, it’s a good sign your relationship will survive the post-infatuation stage.

Intimacy comes when you’re both ready

Sometimes it never happens. I’ve had female friends where mutual attraction existed, but intimacy never came. That’s life.
When you fall in love slowly, the day will come when you both know it. And the best part? It feels natural. The passion and love you feel for each other overcome any awkwardness and jitters.

Don’t let opportunities slip away

I nearly allowed my chance to pass. A last-minute invitation opened the door of possibility. Once recognition of love occurs, don’t hide and wait for something to happen.
Destiny is bullshit.
You must take action to make it happen. Yes, there’s a chance the other person might not return your feelings, or maybe they get scared and run away. But love doesn’t come without risk.

I know. Who has time for long drawn out romances these days? But don’t discount falling in love slowly. There’s no other way.

Written by

Writer. Experimenter in life, productivity and creativity. Contact: barry@barry-davret dot com.



No comments: